Monday, January 7, 2008

Put You ON!

[This is a feature dedicated to puttin ya'll on to some shit whether it be music, movies, literature, television, etc. I'm lucky/blessed enough to stumble across a lot of artists/works that inspire(s) and enriche(s) and in sharing I hope ya'll can take em in and let them do the same for you:) ]

I watched an amazing program on Sundance channel tonight with
Wynton Marsalis called Iconoclasts. Here's a dope quote from Wynton on finding his way:

When I was graduating from high school and trying to figure out what to do next my mother and guidance counselors all told me the same thing, ‘Don’t go into music cause you’ll end up like your father. You’ll basically be broke; struggling-you have to have something to fall back on.’ Then I asked my daddy [Ellis Marsalis], ‘What should I do man? Should I have something to fall back on?’ He said, ‘Man the only advice I can give you is don’t have anything to fall back on. Cause what it’s gonna take for you to make it doing this, whew, it’s going to be very very very very hard. So if you have something to fall back on you gon’ fall back.’

Whoever says tv is just an idiot box, ain't watchin the right stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me find out I have to add this site to my daily blog list lol. Nice, anyway That show is great I caught the one w/ Alicia Keys and Ruby Dee, WHAT! Classic the 2 of them strolling thru Harlem chatting like granny spending the day w/her grand child. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE NOTHING TO FALL BACK ON!!! SO I JUST KEEP GOING. IM ONLY TRYNA MAKE MY FATHER PROUD, IM JUST TRYNA MAKE MY MOMMA SMILE,I ONLY WANNA LET MY SISTERS SEE PARTS OF THE WORLD THEY AINT NEVER SEEN.

I'LL SEE YOU AT THE TOP